Powell Project Done!

I had this wonderful idea for a painting.  It was out of my normal abstract art realm but I wanted to give it a go.  I knew it was going to be another massive undertaking.  I started this project 9/26/2013.  

The picture idea was going to be Jesus, but I couldn't get the picture just the way I wanted. Then I thought about doing my daughter.  I knew it would always go to the back burner because it was for myself.  Then in the mail came a Save the Date invitation from a close co-worker.  I played around with the image and it was perfect!   

2 days of playing with the image, 1 day to nail down the color scheme (I got it down to 7 colors), 1 week to organize it and figure exactly how much paint I was going to need to make and a couple more days to mix my colors!!  

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage1.jpg

It started out with 4400+ coils.  Lots and lots and lots of coils.  Soon after I started working on these coils I realized this was going to take ALOT longer than I had first anticipated....meaning more time and more costs.  I decided to cut the coils in half.  I would only need to make 2200 actual coils now.

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage2.jpg

My first block.....6x6 coils blocks.  Breaking it down into manageable pieces helped in getting it all done without confusing myself! 

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage3.jpg

Many blocks are coming along!  Doesn't look like much at this time....a few weeks from now the image will start to resemble a human's face!

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage4.jpg

The beginnings of her face!  I already feel like I have been working on this for a LONG time!!  I keep trucking ahead knowing this is going to turn out amazing! 

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage5.jpg
Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage6.jpg

Oh how pretty!  I am starting to get excited!  I am almost done with her face and just finished his eye and part of his head!

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage7.jpg

To make it simpler I started organizing each square and all colored coils into a cups (above) instead of pulling from the box of colors (below) .  This made it super easy to squeeze in time before I had to run out the door to get a few put together.

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage8.jpg

It is coming along....looking awesome!  I have decided that I am not going to make all the dark coils for the background.  I am going to paint the board that color instead.  It will save me on time and paint.  It will also give the painting some depth as well as give it a visual break.

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage9.jpg

Painting all done!!!!!!  Board is painted. I am using a board instead of canvas.  Canvas would not be able to support this much paint.  I have decided to add a painted wooden border.  It will looked finished, but she will be able to frame it later if she wants too.

Powell_2-2014_NicoleTurnerStudio_stage10.jpg

The Powell's.  

They loved it!  I loved making it. !

It took 190+ hours with in a 4 month window & many gallons of paints.  There ended up being over 3600 coils to make this image!

 

I am already starting my next one!